Big Bash League 2020: Renegades batsman Sam Harper sent to hospital after sickening head knock


Melbourne Renegades batsman Sam Harper became the first man substituted out of a Big Bash League game after a nasty collision at Marvel Stadium on Tuesday night.

Harper, on six, was involved in a sickening but accidental incident with Hobart Hurricanes fast bowler Nathan Ellis after he had attempted to leap over the bowler to avoid contact in a bid to make his ground while completing a quick single.

However, he failed to avoid contact and was flipped over Ellis' back. The back of Harper's helmet crashed into the turf and he immediately clutched at his head.

He had initially wanted to bat on, having been checked by doctor Trefor James and physio Nick Adcock, but was eventually taken from the field by James in the fourth over of what proved to be an unsuccessful run chase by the Renegades.

"It was quite theatrical. He [Harper] went right over the back of me. He hit the ground pretty hard. I haven't heard how he is going or anything but I hope he is okay. Obviously, you never want to see that on the field," Ellis said.

"It wasn't great at first. He stayed down and clutched his head and he was a bit wobbly legs but after the doctors spoke to him and the umpires spoke to him, it seemed like he was okay."

Sam Harper of the Renegades and Nathan Ellis of the Hurricanes collide.

Sam Harper of the Renegades and Nathan Ellis of the Hurricanes collide.Credit:Getty Images

Veteran batsman Tom Cooper was injected as Harper's concussion substitute but was not required to bat.

Harper was assessed in the dressing room before being taken to hospital for "assessment", the Renegades said.

It's the second time the young Victorian wicketkeeper-batsman has been concussed on the cricket field. He was accidentally struck on the helmet by batsman Jake Lehmann when wicketkeeping against South Australia in a 2017 Sheffield Shield game at the Adelaide Oval.

Harper's head knock completed a miserable night for the Renegades. Veteran batsman Shaun Marsh tweaked a hamstring, just as he had his side well positioned to chase down the 191 required for victory.

The Renegades lost by four runs and appear set to finish the season in bottom place, a dramatic slide having claimed a breakthrough title last summer.

Sam Harper of Melbourne Renegades holds his head after the collision.

Sam Harper of Melbourne Renegades holds his head after the collision.Credit:AAP

Their final two matches are against the Sydney Sixers at the SCG on Saturday and the Brisbane Heat at Marvel Stadium on Monday.

The Hurricanes, with the Sydney Thunder and Adelaide Strikers to come, can still make the revamped five-team finals system.

Score: Hobart Hurricanes 3-190 (Wright 70*, Wade 66; Boyce 2-27) defeated Melbourne Renegades 4-186 (Nabi 63, Marsh 56, Webster 50) by four runs.