Third heater fire in a week destroys Christie Downs house

Source

The fire broke out about 2.15am yesterday at a house under renovations on David Cres, near Anselm St, at Christie Downs.

Firefighters rushed to the house with high pressure hoses but the intensity of the flames made the roof collapse, which hindered firefighting efforts initially.

The interior of a destroyed house at Christie Downs. Picture: AAP / Dean Martin

The interior of a destroyed house at Christie Downs. Picture: AAP / Dean MartinSource:News Corp Australia

MFS Peter Fitton said neighbours reportedly heard noises around 1.30am but the occupants were not home at the time.

“If people had been here, if they’ve got their smoke detectors in place … they would’ve been alerted and probably or likely they could have prevented the fire — unfortunately we’ll never know that,” he said.

“You want 2m clearance between any combustible.”

A bar radiator heater that was accidentally left on and close to combustibles was believed to be the cause of the fire.

The fire was extinguished in an hour and the estimated damage bill is $180,000.

The damage is estimated at $180,000. Picture: AAP / Dean Martin

The damage is estimated at $180,000. Picture: AAP / Dean MartinSource:Supplied

Last week, three bearded dragons and a python were rescued from an Elizabeth East house fire which started when a pillow fell onto a bar heater.

On Saturday, a young family woke to ringing smoke alarms after cushions left near a gas wall heater caught on fire and lit up the lounge room at Pooraka.