'I got the bad one': Woman says she bit into pin hidden in strawberry


A Melbourne woman claims she spent Sunday night in hospital after biting into a strawberry containing a pin and another mystery object which she believes may still be lodged somewhere inside her.

Skye Wilson said she bit into something hard inside a strawberry that had been bought by a friend from the Coles store in Eltham and intended for a birthday cake.

Skye Wilson claims she bit into this pin inside a strawberry purchased from Coles' Eltham store.

Skye Wilson claims she bit into this pin inside a strawberry purchased from Coles' Eltham store.

Initially, she thought it was part of the strawberry's stem or foliage.

"I pulled it out of my mouth and it turned out to be a pin," she said.

"[It was] full shock, I couldn't believe it. Both my kids had strawberries in their hands to eat. We are just so lucky I somehow got the bad one."

Victoria Police confirmed on Monday afternoon it was the second such incident they have been told of this month. The other was reported on September 10 after a needle was found in a strawberry bought from a Fairfield store on August 25.

The latest scares come about a year after a spate of similar incidents – some of them hoaxes – brought the strawberry industry to its knees.

Finding the pin was only the beginning of the ordeal for Ms Wilson, who said she "instantly" felt like something was stuck deep in her throat.

She raced to the Austin Hospital emergency department, where X-rays determined there was nothing metallic in her body.

While she does not know for certain if she swallowed something foreign, she said on Monday afternoon that she was still in pain.

Coles said the supplier in question passed all its strawberries through a metal detector before they left for supermarkets.

“Coles takes the safety of the food we sell seriously, and we have spoken to the customer to follow up their complaint," a spokeswoman said.

"We have worked with our strawberry suppliers to implement additional control measures to ensure strawberries are inspected before they are sent to supermarkets.

"We have notified the police and will follow up with our supplier to investigate the matter.”

More than 10 cases were reported nationally of pins or needles found in strawberries last year during the industry's busy September picking period.

Victoria Police said anyone found contaminating food products could be charged with a serious indictable offences carrying up to 10 years in jail.

It urged anyone with information to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.