Coronavirus: NSW records five new COVID-19 cases as Victoria relaxes restrictions

Source
For our free coronavirus pandemic coverage, learn more here.

The NSW government is expected to rule as early as Monday about whether it may open its border to people from regional Victoria as case numbers across both states remain low.

Five new cases of COVID-19 were diagnosed in NSW on Sunday, including four international travellers in hotel quarantine and one case of local transmission. The local Sydney case is linked to a childcare centre at Oran Park, taking the cluster in that community to 19.

Patrons enjoy the cafes at Bronte Beach on Sunday.

Patrons enjoy the cafes at Bronte Beach on Sunday.Credit:James Alcock

Victoria recorded two new cases and no additional deaths on Sunday, as the state announced it would ease restrictions.

A NSW government spokesman on Sunday said it was too early to say whether it would relax border restrictions to regional Victorians, but further advice might be available on Monday.

NSW Health said it "continues to closely monitor the situation with COVID-19 and regularly updates health advice to reflect the changing nature of the pandemic".

"Our priority remains protecting the health and safety of the community," the spokeswoman said.

Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews said from 11.59pm on Sunday it would remove the time limit on leaving home and the five-kilometre limit on travel for Melburnians would expand to 25 kilometres. Outdoor gatherings of up to 10 people, including real estate auctions could go ahead as could golf, tennis and skate park activity.

The local transmission in Sydney is a close contact of a person associated with the Great Beginnings Childcare Centre at Oran Park in the south-west.

"There are now six cases associated with this childcare centre, and 19 in total in the Oran Park community cluster," a NSW Health spokeswoman said.

All staff and children who attended the centre between October 2 to 13 are considered close contacts and NSW Health has urged them to get tested and self-isolate for 14 days.

NSW Health previously confirmed one of the cases at the childcare centre is an educator who works there. The centre has been closed since October 13 and will remain closed until October 28, with contact tracing and investigations continuing.

Dr Christine Selvey from NSW Health said 73 cases are being treated, including one patient in intensive care who doesn't require ventilation.

Dr Selvey said testing clinics remain open on the weekends and people should get tested "on the day that you get your symptoms".

"Don't wait to see if they go away," Dr Selvey said. "Assume it's COVID-19 until proven otherwise by a test. There is no limit on how many tests you can have."

Mr Andrews said Melburnians would be able to visit other people’s homes and retail and hospitality would reopen in part from November 2.

Sign up to our Coronavirus Update newsletter

Get our Coronavirus Update newsletter for the day's crucial developments and the numbers you need to know. Sign up to The Sydney Morning Herald's newsletter here and The Age's here.